You know when you’ve been sitting on a plane for a really long flight and then you land and all you want to do is walk around? That has been me for the past 2 weeks. But instead of being on a really long flight, I was sick in bed for almost a full 4 weeks. It was awful. So all I’ve been wanting to do the past 2 weeks is MOVE! And DO! And DIY! And all the time. You’ve seen sneak peeks of that on Instagram.
So this week all my moving, doing, and diy-ing have caught up with me. So now I’m sitting a little more amidst the doing. Hence getting one post up today. I had a goal of getting 2 posts done this week but then it was Thursday so it didn’t happen. Oops. But at least I’m getting one post up, right!? Today I’m continuing with sharing about our brand new hardwood floors! So far I’ve shared hardwood floors 101 and all about the demo. Today I’m going to show you all the prep work that was required before we could lay our new floors.
So… yeah…. I think those pictures say enough. After the subflooring was ripped up in the kitchen, we found some minor spots of mold where water had sat. It was mostly in the laundry area.
I knew it wasn’t the super bad kind of mold so I just grabbed my bleach water (with a 1:2 ratio) and an old toothbrush. (Or so I told the hubs. 😉 He has been wondering why his teeth feel a little “bleach-y.” JK…. or am I? Mwah-ha-ha!) Just a little squirt of bleach water and a little scrubbing with the toothbrush and the mold was gone.
After the bleach spots were dry, I chose to paint a little Kilz mildew resistant primer on the floors of the laundry room. Better safe than sorry.
After the mold was taken care of, I had to crawl around on my hands and knees for about 3 hours to hammer down all these freaking staples. When the subfloors ripped out the professional flooring guys also spent 2 hours pulling out all the staples they could. Who knew such a small little staple could be such a pain in the butt? My feet did. That’s who. And no… I never tripped on these little devils. coughliecough
FYI, one of the biggest reasons you should hammer down any nails/staples/bumps in your subflooring is because if you just lay the flooring right over it, it will cause squeaking and creaking.
Then it was time to unroll underlayment. And we started in the hallway. It was the longest run of flooring that would be laid, all the way from the master bedroom down the hall and into the kitchen.
Based off of all the conversations I had with professional flooring installers, when doing such a large space (800 sq ft), you need to begin in the middle of the longest run where floors will be laid. So we made a 2 lane highway in the middle of our home using a laser level, pieces of wood, and my favorite new tool – the Ryobi airstrike nailer. It is freaking awesome! Anywho, the wood pieces would basically be bumpers for us to push the wood planks against as we installed them. Then, when half of the floors were installed, we would pry up the “highway” and install boards going the other way.
Next up was cutting door jambs. We got a Ryobi multi-tool with an oscillating head to cut the jambs. It was a lifesaver. No seriously. It was well worth the money! All you gotta do is lay some of the underlayment and use a scrap piece of flooring flipped upside down as a guide to cut a straight line through the door molding.
Some people are confused why you cut the jambs. Well… this is why. You do it so you don’t have to cut the floors to fit around the door. You just slide it under the jamb and you get a perfect clean look. It looks SO much better and, let me tell you, is WAAAAAYYY easier than cutting your floors to fit around your door jamb.
Next up on Project Hardwood Floors… INSTALL! Finally!