I know, I know. I’ve been MIA all week. We got back from Disney World last Friday and I completely intended to post. But by Monday morning I was sick with a horrendous cold. So I’ve been out of the game for the week.
But I’m feeling much better now so I am finally back! After our wonderful trip to hot Florida, we arrived back in Colorado to a little bit of chilly weather. You know, that perfect fall weather that begs for hot cocoa and warm sweaters and delicious soups. Since the weather was begging for it, I happily obliged and made my all-time favorite soup – Baked Potato Soup!
Let me preface this recipe by saying that me+starches=besties. But seriously, how can you go wrong with a baked potato soup recipe!? Imagine those amazing loaded baked potatoes. Now imagine that deliciousness in soup form. Win-win. Amiright!?
- 4 large baking potatoes
- ⅔ cup butter
- ⅔ cup flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp scallions
- 12 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled, divided
- 2¼ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Bake potatoes either in oven or in microwave. Allow to cool. Scoop out pulp with spoon and set aside. Discard skins.
- Cook bacon until crisp, draining grease. Allow to cool. Crumble bacon. Set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour to create a paste. Cook for 1 minute or until bubbly. Add milk, heating until thick.
- Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, green onion, ½ cup of crumbled bacon and 2 cups cheese to the thickened soup base. Cook until heated throughout. Turn off heat and stir in sour cream.
- Garnish with remaining cheese and bacon. Enjoy!
My mom has been making this soup for years and I love it. I first made it for my hubby back when he was still “boyfriend” and now it is one of his all-time favorite meals as well. It is one of those great comfort foods that fills you up in that great way.
Are you+starches=besties?? What do you love on your baked potato??